Trump National Golf Club Bedminster. Next year’s PGA Championship would have been the first time a Trump-owned course had hosted one of the 4 annual ‘major’ tournaments in men’s golf © Seth Wenig/AP

Donald Trump’s Bedminster resort has been stripped of hosting one of the world’s biggest golf tournaments, as the sporting world joins politicians and corporate groups in breaking with the US president following the riot that engulfed the US Capitol last week.

The PGA of America, the body that runs professional golf events in the US, announced it would move the 2022 PGA Championship away from the New Jersey-based course in the latest blow to an increasingly isolated US president.

Mr Trump, a keen golfer whose hotels empire includes golf resorts in the US, in the UK and in Dubai, has long sought to capture the sport’s biggest events in an effort to boost the image of his properties. 

Next year’s PGA Championship would have been the first time a Trump-owned course had hosted one of the four annual “major” tournaments in men’s golf — and with it a much-craved global spotlight during his post-presidency.

Yet, the culturally conservative US golf establishment has moved to distance itself from Mr Trump, just as previously supportive Republican politicians and business leaders have broken away from the president after his supporters stormed the US Congress last week.

PGA of America’s chief executive Seth Waugh said in an interview with the Associated Press: “We find ourselves in a political situation not of our making. We’re fiduciaries for our members, for the game, for our mission and for our brand. And how do we best protect that?

“Our feeling was given the tragic events of Wednesday that we could no longer hold it at Bedminster. The damage could have been irreparable. The only real course of action was to leave.” PGA of America declined to comment further.

The Trump Organisation did not immediately respond to a request for comment. However, in a statement to US media outlets, it said: “This is a breach of a binding contract and they have no right to terminate the agreement. As an organisation we have invested many, many millions of dollars in the 2022 PGA Championship at Trump National Golf Club Bedminster. 

“We will continue to promote the game of golf on every level and remain focused on operating the finest golf courses anywhere in the world.”

Mr Trump owns one other venue that is seen as capable of holding one of golf’s major tournaments: the Turnberry course in Scotland. It is on a rota of 14 UK-based courses that can be awarded the event in future. 

Martin Slumbers, chief executive of The R&A, said on Monday: “We had no plans to stage any of our championships at Turnberry and will not do so in the foreseeable future. We will not return until we are convinced that the focus will be on the championship, the players and the course itself and we do not believe that is achievable in the current circumstances.”

The story was corrected to reflect that the R&A — not the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews — runs The Open.


Get alerts on US Capitol attack when a new story is published

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2021. All rights reserved.
Reuse this content (opens in new window)

Follow the topics in this article